Re: [AMC-list] car magazines are bugging me.....

Re: [AMC-list] car magazines are bugging me.....

As Jeff noted, indeed I am reading closely to what you guys are saying
about car magazines and HCC in particular. Many of you made some good
points, and I appreciate seeing those points raised.

First off, the best way to make your voice heard on issues you have with
any magazine is to take them right to the editor of that magazine. You'd
be surprised exactly how few people write in to a national car magazine
(hint: There aren't too many letters left over from the letters to the
editor column every month). As my momma always said, the squeaky wheel
gets the grease. If we have a readership of 150,000 and we get just a
dozen letters in one month - and if half of those voice a common opinion
on a certain issue, it's hard not to assume that those six readers
represent 75,000 opinions. See where I'm heading...? BTW, Richard
Lentinello, the editor of HCC, can be reached at
rlentinello@xxxxxxxxxxxx or at 222 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201. Don't
be shy.

Second, some of you might find a little of what you're looking for in
some of our other magazines. Some of you have already noted the tech and
modified cars that can be found in Hemmings Muscle Machines. I think
Craig Fitzgerald, the editor of Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car, would
agree almost 100 percent with everything that's been said the last few
days; you might not be into the foreign jobs that populate that
magazine, but you'll appreciate the attitude and philosophy behind it.
We do have a regular feature in the editorial pages of Hemmings Motor
News that focuses on excellent drives around the country. And finally,
there's the Hemmings Blog (http://blog.hemmings.com), where pretty much
anything goes as long as it's related to old cars; if you have a good
road trip story with photos, I'll run it there.

As I'm sure Frank can attest, it's hard to publish anything and please
everybody all of the time. Add in the pressures of monthly cycles,
limited travel budgets and actually making a profit off the magazines,
and it's enough to make you want to bounce your head off a brick wall
some days. We're doing our best, but without direct, honest and
intelligent feedback from the readers, it's very difficult to know which
direction to take.

dan