Re: [AMC-list] Identify 65 AMC 20

I think we have one of those ball socket rebuild kits in my store (came from a store that closed after being open for 50 years)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Identify 65 AMC 20

About what I expected on the tag. Best thing to do with that CV is get rid of it before you put the car back together. There is a centering joint/device that eventually wears out. That type centering device was only used about 4-5 years by AMC and Lincoln, maybe in some Buicks and Olds. There was a rebuild kit with new seats and springs, but I haven't seen or head of one in YEARS. Blaser may have one, but get the credit card out. It's rare, and necessary to put back in stock condition. They don't go out often, but at 44+ years old and most with well over 100K on them they have started going out over the last 4-5 years occasionally. Then the CV joint won't stay straight and you get vibrations at certain speeds at first, getting worse as it deteriorates even faster.

The slip-yoke is the same as any other cast iron BW trans or the T-89/T10 manuals. The front shaft is tubular. Easy enough to have a driveline shop cut the end off and extend for a single u-joint (56-62 Rambler V-8s had single joints) or a readily available CV joint of similar design (called a double Cardan joint, two standard u-joints joined by a connector). I think the existing slip joint can be used if the center "bridge" is cut out. Same with the end on the shaft. That would eliminate the ball stud centering points. Then the tubular shaft just needs lengthening 3-4". There's nothing wrong with a single joint, the sixes used them as well as the older V-8s. The CV joint is a little smoother though. AMC was apparently trying to make the V-8 models a bit more upscale. Makes sense in the Ambo, and I'd think they just figured since they were designing/supplying the CV joint for the Ambo may as well use it in the Classic V-8 also instead of using a third joint type. The CV costs
  more, but there weren't as many V-8 Classics as sixes and there is also cost involved in stocking and making the third part.