[AMC-list] OT: enging heating strangely

so, my work truck ('77 ford f250 4x4) has a strange heating issue. when no or
light load, it heats up. idling, or cruising down flat highway at 60mph. it
gets quite hot. if im going up a good hill, or pulling my trailer, it stays
right at 180*. it is a modified block. i think 351m not 400. has edelbrock
intake, edelbrock carb, new distributor (factory ford electronic). it also
doesnt feel like the secondary valves are working on the carb. you cant feel
anything when you put your foot into it. it has a stiffer spring on
secondaries so you can feel when you get into them on the foot, motor makes o
difference. i stay out of them all i can. it gets a whopping 8mpg too. the
heating issue has me just baffled. _______________________________________________