From: Peter Marano
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC/Jeep J-10 Five Speeds & other mods

  Message: 5 Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 07:46:45 -0400 From: Frank Swygert
 To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [AMC-list]
AMC/Jeep J-10 Five Speeds & other mods Message-ID:
<4C08E7A5.4060202@xxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1;
format=flowed It's like the later Ford "solid axle" IFS, where the axle
is "broken" in the center. Late 50s and early 60s rear drive Mercedes
IRS axles are done the same way. And of course the VW bug and early
Corvair. There is no allowance for changing camber as the suspension
travels (wheels stay perpendicular to the ends of the axles) , and
travel is limited. For a street/light trail (rough road) truck the
limited travel is fine. The few FSJs that got the IFS weren't used for
off roading I'm sure. No, it is not. Are you going to look at the
suspension drawings? Peter Marano Kenosha WI