Re: [AMC-list] time to find a stout 5 spd tranny now i think.

Re: [AMC-list] time to find a stout 5 spd tranny now i think.

Here's a little more T5 information, the Ford sourced T5 up to 1993 will
exchange with an AMC T5,  bolt right up to that multi pattern bellhousing
that AMC made. The input shaft housing is a larger diameter where it mates
to the bell housing so the input shaft housing will need to be turned down
in a lathe to match the hole in the bell, or swap an AMC input housing onto
the T5.
Use the AMC bell housing/clutch linkage/throwout bearing parts too. There
are a lot more Ford sourced T5s out there than AMC T5s. The spline of the
input shaft is 1/16 less in diameter than the AMC but is easily dealt with
by using a Ford sourced clutch disc. Still all in all it's an easy swap into
any AMC that will take the multi pattern bell housing. In the Javelin, AMX,
and Javelin AMX, the hole in the floorboards matches perfectly with the T5
shifter. BONUS.

Do a search and find John Elle's information about this swap. He has a great
article about it. Very thorough.

Armand