Re: [AMC-list] time to find a stout 5 spd tranny now i think.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> " Didn't someone say the SR5 had the same pattern as T14?
>
> only sr5 i know of is a toyota pickup.  the sr4/t4/t5 share a pattern
> unique to them.  the t14 came in 2 patterns: amc cars have a t96
> pattern and snout, jeeps have a t86/t15 pattern and snout.

That's why the car T-14 is so attractive for us (few) T-96 drivers. It
literally fits into the same hole, zero change, and even the shift levers
are close enough to likely fit without change.  Full synchro, much stronger,
etc. And doesn't disturb the careful gearing choices AMC made on these cars.
That stuff really matters, the devil is in the details. Mismatch gearing
(trans, axle, tires and wheels) and you hobble a lightweight low hp car.
Makes it totally un-fun to drive. Get it right, and its very sweet.

Many people throw cubic inches at the problem but I find working with less
much more satisfying (and practical). To each their own poison of course!