Re: [AMC-list] AMC/Jeep J-10 Five Speeds & other mods

IFS on a 4x4 is a REAL PITA! Jeep tried it in the first year of FSJ production and wisely abandoned it. If you haul loads, the front tires change angle so radically that tire wear is accelerated. (ask anyone with a Ford how often the fronts need replacing vs the rear) Doing the front springs outboard the frame helps a LOT with the ride.

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] AMC/Jeep J-10 Five Speeds & other mods

The main reason I asked is that the truck currently has HD shocks on it, but they are around 10 years old. It hasn't had a snow plow on it in five years, but that may have worn the shocks considerably... springs too. I have a 74 truck that had a big winch on the front but never anything as heavy as a snow plow. Although they are 10 years older the springs may be in better condition. I was just thinking that dual shocks should be better, but I'll try a new pair of shocks on the 74 springs first unless I decide to try the IFS or coil springs. This is the only front leaf spring vehicle I've ever had.