Re: [AMC-list] Used Springs

I think you'll be fine. I always wondered why some cars sag down to the
ground while some don't. OK there's heavy drivers, etc, but seriously, 150
lb driver vs. even 300 lb, that's 150lbs spread 13 - 2/3 front - rear. Could
it be springs in the front of the oven got better heat treatment or
something?

So have you now ruined the rear of the car? :-) Always the pessimist.

> So I used the longest spring to replace the sagging front driver's side
> coil in my car and will have results later today after I let the car down
> off of the jack and finish a couple more tasks.   I also used the external
> springs compressors I got years ago and felt a little bit lucky that I only
> had one small problem with the loaded spring after I compressed it.  I had
> one get away from me in the shop a few years ago when I was using a press to
> compress it along with the external spring clamps. That was not fun and I
> was lucky that severe property damage did not occur (It was an aircraft
> repair shop with project planes in the vicinity.)  I'm getting the Garyjav
> spring tool before I replace the spring on the other side of the car.
> Depending upon how the driver's side comes out, I may yet buy a new set of
> coil springs.<http://list.amc-list.com/listinfo.cgi/amc-list-amc-list.com>

Yow. Are the 64-67 AMerican springs like ball point pen springs, like the
pre-64 springs? THe Classic springs I just lower the car onto to compress
and it's not scary at all. I had the 63 American's spring jump out once,
under the car luckily. I'm going to make a proper side-supporting compressor
like the one in the TSM.