Re: [AMC-list] time to find a stout 5 spd tranny now i think.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Main reason it isn't used is that it's a "notchy" truck transmission. It's
> fine for a cruiser, but isn't a fast or smooth shifting trans. It shifts
> fast enough, but not a racer. There's also the AX-5, which was used behind
> the four cylinders in Cherokees. It's probably as strong as a T-5, that and
> the Peugeot BA 10/5.

Ahh, thanks.

The AX-5 while attractive for smaller six cyl projects like mine, has a
non-AMC input shaft, since the 2.5L has a GM rear pattern and all that.

I'm pretty much narrowed down to pre-64 AMCs with sixes, which pleases me
greatly -- the major downside is there are NO transmission choice, the one
automatic, T-96 with and without OD, and the T-14 with a custom driveshaft.

Man, do I wish I had a T-14 with OD... if anyone has one in decent shape I'd
consider swapping my Navarro stuff for that one transmission.