From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 14:02:50
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] AMC/Jeep J-10 Five Speeds & other mods

That's good to hear! A local Jeep guy has said he'd gladly trade me an AX-15 and transfer case for the T-176 four speed and case now in my 83 J-10. Apparenlty the mud boggers down here prefer the four speeds, so I'm taking him up on it.

My truck will be a street/work truck. Might hit some semi-rough trails but no serious off-roading. I really would like to improve the ride. I've been considering putting a Chevy or Ford IFS under the front, provided they are left side front axles and I can find a 3.55 gear. I know it will be a bit of work, but shouldn't be too bad. Another option would be to convert to a Cherokee style four link and coil springs, but that might be trickier.

But I've been thinking -- would dual shocks on the front significantly reduce the "bouncy" ride from the front leaf springs? If so that would be easier than changing the front suspension. New springs with sliders instead of shackles and dual shocks might be enough. I plan on sliders in the rear with a newer type leaf spring, probably from a Ford F-150 with tow package. I noticed that even my nephews Ranger has the short stiff (almost straight) "overload" spring in its leaf spring pack but neither my 74 or 83 J-10 does. Both of those have different length springs too. It will be easy enough to move the spring anchor points with the bed off the truck.