Re: [AMC-list] saginaw power steering box

Did you hook the hoses up backwards on the steering gear? I just looked at Kermit and the pressure hose is in the port nearest the front of the car and the return in the port nearest the rag joint.

Matt

On 5/17/2010 2:17 PM, wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx spouted this sage advice:
That sounds very "weird". I've had boxes shipped. Never and issue. Did you try a gentle "nudge" with something to apply a bit of extra pressure? I'd like to think its just stuck against a stop. If it breaks free and works ok. You may wish to forgo the costs of a rebuild unit. I intended to go that route, ended up with a 73 Hornet box and slight reduction in P/S pressure by using a Wrangler hi/pres valve in my 4.0l's pump. I love the combo and see no reason to change it! (That would be my luck to if I painted something before installing it).

-----Original Message-----
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 12:55:46 To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] saginaw power steering box

Ok, I got a hold of a saginaw box, it has fewer turns lock to lock than the
original in the white Javelin. Plan was to swap this one in and send the
original box in to be rebuilt for a REAL quick ratio.  The temporary box
worked fine, I rotated it lock to lock several times, then cleaned it all up
rolling the box around on the bench to get at all points, painted it, and
low and behold, now the box won't work.

What did I do?? By rolling the box on the work bench, did the recirculating
balls drop out of sequence?

Will I have to tear it down now??

Any body got any ideas?

Thanks,