[AMC-list] saginaw power steering box

Ok, I got a hold of a saginaw box, it has fewer turns lock to lock than the
original in the white Javelin. Plan was to swap this one in and send the
original box in to be rebuilt for a REAL quick ratio.  The temporary box
worked fine, I rotated it lock to lock several times, then cleaned it all up
rolling the box around on the bench to get at all points, painted it, and
low and behold, now the box won't work.

What did I do?? By rolling the box on the work bench, did the recirculating
balls drop out of sequence?

Will I have to tear it down now??

Any body got any ideas?

Thanks,