Re: [AMC-list] ruined in 60 seconds

tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> said:

>Got time today, got it started, probably ruined it outright.
>
>I had oil pressure no problem, I installed a pressure gauge under the hood.
>I started it from the cab, watching the tach (2000 - 2500) and stopwatch, at
>40 secs I noticed the oil light was on. Immediately turned off the engine,
>found all the oil on the driveway and the crankcase dry. So it ran without
>oil pressure long enough to pump out 4 - 5 quarts.
>
>The gasket popped out of the oil filter on one side. I'm 101% certain it was
>installed correctly and tight enough, as I pre-filled the oil filter last
>weekend and was very careful with it. I recall assembling it distinctly. I
>am beyond certain about everything involving the external oiling.
>
>If it was 2 - 10 secs I'd fix and press on, but I think it's too likely a
>total loss. If so I'm basically screwed, as I'm broke and $2500 on a credit
>card to build the motor. That's it for 2010.

I did that once too.  Turned out the top of the filter was actually cut wrong.  It threaded on fine and tightended down fine, but the gasket didn't touch on one side.  Fortunately I saw the oil streaming out right away and shut it off.

Fuming, I took it back to the auto parts place and told them they might owe me an engine over it, and they should give me new filter and oil to begin with, so I could run it and make sure no damage was done.  They did, and fortunately the engine ran just fine.

I agree with Ken Ames.  You had at least some oil pressure until the light came on.  It may not be ruined.

Good luck.

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm