[AMC-list] caspers motor may be ok, but need advice/suggestions

[AMC-list] caspers motor may be ok, but need advice/suggestions

ok, so i got the dead cylinder solved. the idiot who did the re-ring job
missed a bolt on the intake plate. some reason, now, cylinder #1 fires fine
and runs smooth now. took her for about a 10 mile drive today. i have a knock
still. not sure what it is. not there under accel/decel, but light load, a
fairly loud knock. i can NOT get it to do it sitting in the driveway. run the
throttle up, and slowly let the motor lose load, anything. last july, i lost a
rod bearing. i didnt think it was bad. crank mic'd just fine, still smooth
nothing wrong with it. as soon as i started HEARING the knock, i shut it off,
and had to have someone get me to take me home to get the trailer to tow
casper home. now, this block is thick and hides noises. (detonation ect) tom
j knows what im talking about. could that rod bearing have been going bad for
some time, and i just did not hear it till it was totally gone, and maybe got
the rod out of round and only does it down the road? i would have thought i
could hear it under the hood in the driveway if it was. maybe in the next day
or so, if i get time, i will get a video posted on youtube for some more
knoledgeable folks on here to listen to. i HOPE its not a bad rod. its
raining, so i didnt get under to check for anything loose, but off the top of
my head, i cant think of anything but drivetrain that would do that. rearend
has been gone thru, trans/od gone thru.

getting parts for this aluminum engine is taking longer than hoped as they are
rare and spendy. doing this on a VA disability check is going to take a long
while.
dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules