Re: [AMC-list] caspers motor may be ok, but need advice/suggestions

Re: [AMC-list] caspers motor may be ok, but need advice/suggestions

In my experience one thing that can sound like a rod knock at idle is a loose crankshaft pulley on the harmonic balancer.  I had one of three pulley bolts missing on a Gremlin and "clacked" at idle.  Check the balancer bolt itself too for proper torque.

One other thing I have heard is carbon build up in the cylinder tops or top of the piston can either cause contact between a pistion and head or it can increase the compression ratio enough to create detonation.   Run the enigne up and put a trickle of water down the carb to see if you can cure that.

Joe Fulton