[AMC-list] A Great AMC Day: The International 401

[AMC-list] A Great AMC Day: The International 401

So I'm working on the yard last Thursday, minding my own business, when I get a call from a person I didn't know, who was responding to an ad I had posted somewhere, looking for AMC stuff.

He tells me he has a 72 International with an AMC 401 2-bbl engine with a 2WD 727 Mopar tranny behind it.  He says it runs.  I agree to $500 for the engine, and he says he will go and pick up his truck from where it's stashed, and call me that evening.  He doesn't call me that evening, but he does call me the next day, and I jump in the car and run twenty miles out to go and see it.

I pull in the driveway and see a reddish 72 International pickup -- the straightest one I've ever seen.  Usually when you see these trucks, they're sagging in the middle -- the body lines from the cab don't line up with the body lines from the pickup bed.  But this one lined up perfectly.  But I'm not an International guy, even though it's an AMC-powered one; and while it is a very straight truck with great potential, it's not for me.  It does have a lot of rust underneath and in sneaky places that would be a bear to fix.  He starts it up, shows me it runs, does a mild burnout to show the trans works, and we agree on price.  He'll even pull & deliver, which is awesome.  The magic numbers on the side verify that it really is a 401.

Monday morning, he arrives with the awesome 401 and trans, and we use my cherry picker to get it off the truck.

So now another 401 is in my garage, patiently waiting to go in my...  Concord AMX.  I have R4B's, Torker's, and a newish Performer, along with a small selection of Holley & Edelbrock carbs, sitting in storage boxes.  The 727 has a very short tailshaft -- I assume that was just for the IHC application, but I don't know.  Wonder if it's short enough to match the existing driveshaft from the 304/TF-998 that was originally in the car?

In all, a great AMC day.

Now I just need to find front spoilers for the AMX.

Some quiet mufflers and we have a perfect sleeper.

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm