Re: [AMC-list] HEI distributor hook up ?

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I just got my new HEI distributor installed in my 72 Gremlin. It says to
> hook up the pos terminal to a 12V source that is only on when the ignition
> switch is on. And it must be constant 12 volts even when the key is turned
> to start.
>  WHat wire would I use? I found the wire that went to the coil a yellow and
> orange wires have 13 volts as well as the yellow wire going to the voltage
> regulator. They are controlled by the Ign switch, but when I hit the key to
> start they go down to 9 volts.

Often, things connected to the ACC switch position get turned off while
cranking (radio, etc). The problem you have with the yellow or orange wire,
dropping to 9V, there's a resistor wire in the harness somewhere. The good
news is it comes from the right source, eg. the IGN position of the switch.

You might simply have to run a wire to the back or the switch. I know that's
a PITA.