[AMC-list] HEI distributor hook up ?

I just got my new HEI distributor installed in my 72 Gremlin. It says to hook up the pos terminal to a 12V source that is only on when the ignition switch is on. And it must be constant 12 volts even when the key is turned to start.
 WHat wire would I use? I found the wire that went to the coil a yellow and orange wires have 13 volts as well as the yellow wire going to the voltage regulator. They are controlled by the Ign switch, but when I hit the key to start they go down to 9 volts.
 Any suggestions? O and this is for a 258
Thanks,
 Davis