Re: [AMC-list] moar 195.6...

Funny thing is that even though my 69 has 67 linkage setup, Jeep 10.9" fly wheel clutch etc. And the T5. It still is pretty much all in or out in the same 3"s !  I can adjust where the three inches is. But it is still 3"s.

-----Original Message-----
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:44:45
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] moar 195.6...

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope you take some pics before you stick it in!!

Oh I have lots of pics. I'm making an entire 195.6 OHV project build page.
News at 11.

> The trans probably won't like the thinner oil. I've tried that before --
> much thinner than designed for and it balks.

Well the TSM says 30 weight is OK. 20W-50 I hope is "close". My guess is
that the synchros will be too slow, but it's not a big deal to change it. I
wanted to peek inside anyways since it's been in there a year and a half and
if you recall, I screwed it up the first time! I apparently hadn't properly
seated the input shaft clip and it pushed in... since it's perfect in there
now I assume that was the case.

That clutch linkage is designed for grandma to use. You'd have to
> re-engineer the linkage to change it. Rather than that, I'd adapt a
> hydraulic system to it. If you can place the master cylinder an external
> slave cylinder should be easy enough.

Not worth the effort of course. You just get used to it. It's disconcerting
because it permanently has the symptom of a badly adjusted clutch: all in at
the very top of the pedal. Fully disengaged by pushing the pedal 3 inches
with one finger! Working perfectly, as designed. Yep, for grandma.