Re: [AMC-list] pacer headliner

From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, March 24, 2010 8:43:36 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Cotten Pacer Headliner Pointers?

Jay,

The glue isn't the problem. The problem is the foam on the back of the cloth breaks down with age. I don't think there is a solution for that.

Everybody uses this type of headliner now so you can probably find plenty of how-to if you don't limit yourself to AMC. The important thing to do is to get as much of the old glue off of the board before you put new glue on it. I've seen it done a few times and a wire brush seems to be the tool of choice.

The only other big tip is to keep in mind that you are working with contact cement which has no forgiveness. Work with it on half at a time and start in the middle. Having another person or two around to guide it into place would very likely help.
=============================
On the headliners, I used 3M spray, it is the #37 stuff, about $14-$17 a can. Note it shoots out like silly string so my suggestion is if you have any interior in the car, cover or remove it for overspray which is tough to clean up. Good advice working from middle outwards below. Warning, if you are in a area of high heat, even if car stored inside, this cotton stuff will eventually fall down again and when you least expect it, like a summer car show or event

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/shows/events.htm

when heat is highest as it loosens the glue to whatever you have up there. Somewhere on my site is a interior shot of my old black/black 78 Pacer custom woodie wagon, and on the dash is a ECKO oven meat thermometer and on a 97 degree day here in Houston....inside the car it is 173 degrees. Another photo shows different ECKO thermometer on dash of 72 Ambassador SST wagon, which is blue/blue and on 98 degree summer day, inside car is 153 degrees. Both photos were emailed to local TV stations and Weather Channel which used them warning people not to leave pets and kids inside their cars even for few minutes to run into stores.

So heat like that can curl dash pads, and headliners especially vunerable. Possibly you might want to take it to auto upholstery shop to see how much they would do it for, that way if falls, it is hopefully under warranty and they will fix it instead of it becoming a summer headliner ritual! Good luck either way.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com

Matt

On 3/24/2010 6:57 PM, peggy delancey spouted this sage advice:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Hi all, wondered if anyone has done one of these and if they could offer some pointers. The only REAL bad part of my cars interior is the falling headliner. I have a new one, and have the card board backing taken out of the car. I shopped vacuumed the foam backing off which crumbled right off. Anything else I could do to get a better mateing surface for the new glue and liner!