From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, March 25, 2010 1:26:56 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Best years of 258 parts for Strokers

Wrong on the pistons. All the rods are the same. The difference in compression ratios over the years are from the dish in the pistons and changes in the combustion chamber of the head.
My answer posted on the Strokers group (you didn't mention pistons there):

It really depends! Mid 1980 and later 258 cranks have four counterweights and are substantially lighter than older ones, I seem to recall about 40 pounds lighter. If you want an engine that will turn up quick that's the one to use. I'd prefer it for a street engine. The heavier pre mid 80 crank has eight counterweights and is claimed by some to be easier to balance and of course is a good bit stronger than the later one. No one has complained about breaking either, so there is no reason to assume the late crank is that much weaker than the early one. There is a bit more flywheel effect with the heavier rotating mass, making it a bit harder to stall at low rpm. For a rock crawler it's perfect! So what are you thinking about building? Race/street engine that need to turn up quick -- lighter crank. Rock crawler -- heavy crank.