From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, Mar 24, 2010 9:46 pm
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Engine ID?

ok, i have been round and round with this issue on my own a few times. early
62 and earlier, all have a "volcano" lump on the end of the crank shaft.
protrudes out and the flywheel sits on it. sometime between (cant find out
exactly) mid 62-early 63 they changed to flat butt cranks. the autos HAD to
have the flat cranks. the manuals seem to work either way. best bet, is to
stay with what you got. flat but crank now, get a flat butt crank to replace
with. or vice versa. its around 1" of a lump on the back of the "volcano"
crank. i hope this makes sense. if you need pics to see what im talking
about, just ask, i can post them pretty easy. i got 1 of each crank sitting
out handy at the moment. i should put up some pics anyway just because i have
them out. dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules