Re: [AMC-list] Engine ID?

That's correct as far as I can tell too. All the 63s should have flat-butt cranks, some mid to late 62s may have them. The air-cooled M-35 has to have the flat butt for sure. So look at the transmission. If it's a cast iron center section and is a 63 or earlier six cylinder it needs the volcano-butt crank. If the trans has an aluminum center section and a big hole in the passenger side of the bell (right side) then it needs a flat-butt crank. Manuals will work with either, so a late 62 manual trans car could have either one. Most pre 62 manual trans cars had a flat crank though, only the autos had to have the volcano center. I've had several 61-63 Americans with manual trannys and all had flat-butt cranks. Only had one auto, and it was a 63 with the M-35 and flat crank. Several people have reported having manual trans cars with the volcano crank, but it appears that the majority were flat. The volcanos could have been swapped in during a rebuild or engine swap, no way to tell with 45+ year old cars. There was a press in adapter made for replacing the crank and using the original trans. It was only available from AMC for a relatively short time -- through the 60s at the most. A few probably sat on shelves for a while through the 70s, and there may be a couple floating around even now.
----------
Date: 25 Mar 2010 02:46:43 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx

ok, i have been round and round with this issue on my own a few times. early
62 and earlier, all have a "volcano" lump on the end of the crank shaft.
protrudes out and the flywheel sits on it. sometime between (cant find out
exactly) mid 62-early 63 they changed to flat butt cranks. the autos HAD to
have the flat cranks. the manuals seem to work either way. best bet, is to
stay with what you got. flat but crank now, get a flat butt crank to replace
with. or vice versa. its around 1" of a lump on the back of the "volcano"
crank. i hope this makes sense. if you need pics to see what im talking
about, just ask, i can post them pretty easy. i got 1 of each crank sitting
out handy at the moment. i should put up some pics anyway just because i have
them out.
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts