Re: [AMC-list] Simple Pleasures or utter frustration....

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I got the other side today, while working towards mounting the fuel pump in
> my spare tank I discovered that the rust that appeared to be minor surface
> rust is deeper and once a little cleaning was done the area under the fuel
> pickup is the conistancy of cheese cloth.
>

>   I have to decide whether to trudge forward and repair this tank and seal
> as Tom did his.

In hindsight, I wish I had checked on the new tank business. I know that has
it's own problems (exhaust, etc). Mine has turned otu OK, but it was a LOT
of work. I chopped two big holes to be able to media blast it inside, and I
think that's important if you can't see shiny metal between rust spots, Mine
was all brown rust viewed from the sender hole.

The factory tank does fit perfectly, and has that going for it.

There are good and less-good sealants out there. I could find out, but I
think I used something called Nova Something.