Re: [AMC-list] Front Spring Recommendation

All I can say about the firmness is mine was a little firmer but I ordered heavy duty rate springs. If you order stock rate they should feel about the same as they do now but will firm up as you speed up -- or rather as the spring compresses. At low speeds you don't get much wheel bounce and you shouldn't even notice the springs were changed. As you speed up the wheels tend to bounce higher when you hit a bump and the greater compression stabilizes the car more. Something like that -- my explanation IS overly simplified! Same in turns -- leans over only a bit then the spring gets stiffer and stabilizes the car with less roll. I'd use them for the rear too -- modern cars have them on both ends. You don't need a press for the springs. There's a nice flat area under the car just behind the front wheels. Pull the spring then set the compressed spring under the car and let it down. You may have to press down a bit on the front fender to release the hooks. Same with putting the hooks on the new springs -- jack car up and set springs with seats under the front. I do it that way all the time!
-----------
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:32:59 -0500
From: ron welton <rewelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thank you Frank, That is what I was looking for.  I do not want to cut any more springs.  I have done that in the past on GM cars pulling them in and out to achieve the ride height.  That would be labor intensive for the Rambler since I do not have a press to unload the springs and I will be taking it to a Freightliner shop.  I like the lowering block ideas.

I am curious on the firmness that I will feel with progressives. Would you do the same for the rear? The car is being rebuilt as a long distance cruiser
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts