Re: [AMC-list] Fwd: Nash 234.8 OHV six

" >and its design may have roots as far back as the '25 special 6.
"
" Yes, that was the Ajax engine acquired by Nash when they bought Ajax
" in '25. So it goes back even further. It was the "Light Six".

so - it was the ancestor of both the 234.8 and the straight 8?  egge
info - now not entirely trustable - suggests it.

No, those go back to the origins of the Nash car. The "Light Six" was inherited from Ajax and doubtless reworked by Nash.

" >any way, this 8 would be the cool period-appropriate motor to have in
" >one of those nash tow trucks...
"
" No real reason, the OHV 6 produced nearly as much power and torque
" with far greater fuel economy.

if i recall frank's nash 6 history, the 234.8 got a lot of
improvement, especially in compression, from the '30s to the '50s.  a
comparably set up 322 8 should be good for 200-odd hp.  and iirc the
late '40s ambassador - whence the cab - was a prewar carryover, so it
has the hood for the 8.

The Ambassador body lengths were standardized in 1941. 1940 was the last year for a longer 80-series front clip.

do you know what transmissions nash was using in this period?  i'd
guess by the '50s they were probably using warners, and that the truck
probably had a t18, only because it's a warner truck tranny.

Believe they were all Warner going well back into the '30s. My '48 has a T86 with R10 overdrive. My '40 now in the Bulgari collection is also a Warner with the old (R7?) mechanical governor O/D.

--
William "Chip" Lamb
Richmond, VA - 804-357-4926