Re: [AMC-list] Fwd: Nash 234.8 OHV six

" From: "William 'Chip' Lamb" <chip@xxxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" Far be it from me to disagree with Egge, however; I was involved in
" the overhaul of the engine in the 4081 Sakhnoffsky 'Playcar' featured
" in Hemmings' article "The Count from Kenosha" about 4-5 years ago.
" Insert bearings were used. Just to be sure, I checked the 37-42 parts
" book. 37-42 80 engine main bearing set Nash P/N 3111813 (std), cam
" bearings 37 #40555, 3842 80 engine #94677, rod bearing set #92147
" 37-42 80 engine inclusive.

that's fairly authoritative...	:^>

" >and its design may have roots as far back as the '25 special 6.
"
" Yes, that was the Ajax engine acquired by Nash when they bought Ajax
" in '25. So it goes back even further. It was the "Light Six".

so - it was the ancestor of both the 234.8 and the straight 8?  egge
info - now not entirely trustable - suggests it.

" >any way, this 8 would be the cool period-appropriate motor to have in
" >one of those nash tow trucks...
"
" No real reason, the OHV 6 produced nearly as much power and torque
" with far greater fuel economy.

if i recall frank's nash 6 history, the 234.8 got a lot of
improvement, especially in compression, from the '30s to the '50s.  a
comparably set up 322 8 should be good for 200-odd hp.  and iirc the
late '40s ambassador - whence the cab - was a prewar carryover, so it
has the hood for the 8.

do you know what transmissions nash was using in this period?  i'd
guess by the '50s they were probably using warners, and that the truck
probably had a t18, only because it's a warner truck tranny.