Re: [AMC-list] Aluminum 195.6 Freeze Plugs

Re: [AMC-list] Aluminum 195.6 Freeze Plugs

I hate to be a party pooper, but on engines that old, that neglected, that
unknown (eg. unpopular) I wouldn't leave ANYTHING un-touched, unless you're
just doing an in-car "freshen" to stave off the inevitable full teardown.

If you are gonna tear that aluminum job down, I would, personally, SOLVE the
mysterious welch plug/block plug thing, before you ... loose coolant in a
new motor ... have a leak on the side of the highway...  etc

A 232/258 you can get away with stuff like that, because they are so much
better known, with so much user history in this list and elsewhere. Hell, no
one even knows how those plugs you are WORK, never mind how long they last,
etc...

Even the iron job, for a while I was thinking I was fanatical, collecting
all these old engines, stripping and cleaning parts, but turns out, they
were all run down to end-of-life, these were workhorses made out of very old
fashioned engines, never loved, then forgotten.

People get 'mad' when they find an ol dford flathead v8 abused, or even a
350, but no one blinks when someone runs these sixes into the ground. THAT
is what you are working on for a core!

Stripped oil pump drive?! Full, 101% teardown. Who knows what went on in
there? Boil out, magnaflux, THEN a 3 hour bench inspection with a bright
light and a magnifying glass!  Seriously, that aluminum engine was a freak
when it was new, now it might as well be from outer space.