[AMC-list] Aluminum 195.6 Freeze Plugs

If you are familiar with this engine (Dave?) you realize those casting plugs are HUGE.  I have two of these engines here at home and if I ever rebuild one I realized I may just need to replace at least some of those plugs.  I tried NAPA and the Dormann hardware doesn't offer anything large enough in brass or steel.  I saw an NOS freeze plug kit for this engine on Ebay and bought it.  The kit contained one freeze plug and two sheet metal screws, a set of installation instructions and a template for installing the screws.  I have not disassembled one of my engines yet but it turns out, from looking at the template, that the casting is not completely hollow behind those huge plates and the screws are to be installed along with the freeze plug "plate" to hold the plate in place.  I wonder if there was a problem with the plugs blowing out. I have not yet checked with the Rambler vendors but if it really is impossible to find the correct plates, I can
 investigate having some made, using the new one from the kit as a pattern.

Dave Stohler, let me know if you need some of these, since you seem to be the only lister working with one of these engines at the present time.

Joe Fulton