[AMC-list] machinists (old thread)

A Car Craft article (May 2010)on budget rebuilding cylinder heads (you can guess which brand) had the following machinist prices:

Clean and magnaflux  $88.00
Install new valve guides:  $170.00
Back-cut valves:   $32.00
Surface Heads:  $56.00

Those prices are for the pair of V8 heads I presume.

Bruce, you can't make money at those prices?

Here are labor prices for a 232 AMC six I had done here in Salinas a few years ago.  The engine is still on the stand.  I have to bring the car out of the hangar some day and put it together.

The engine was taken to the shop in a basket.

Prep for burn  $30.00
Degrease engine:  $70.00
Magnaflux block, crank, head:  60.00
Surface block:  75.00
Bore cylinders (0.30) $110.00
Size big ends:  $84.00
Pin fit (press)  $35.00
Polish crankshaft:  $30.00
Install cam bearings:  $36.00
Surface head:  $42.00
Install valve guides:  $84.00
Grind seats and valves:  $90.00
Assemble head:  $24.00
Check main bores: $20.00
Install exh. seats:  $84.00

Surface flywheel:  $40.00  That comes to $914.00 for labor.  I won't volunteer to pay that every day of course, but the guy has a great reputation and has never done me wrong yet.

Joe Fulton