[AMC-list] Machinists

Sadly most of what has been posted here on this subject are contributing
factors to the decline of the "speed shop" as we used to know it or to
automotive machine shops in general are true.

Of course there's the influx of "imported" (take your pick they come from
several countries) parts selling at cost's equal to or lower than
reconditioning the OE parts. The last SBC I put together had Aluminum heads.
He got them COMPLETE with SS valves, springs and screw in studs for $325
each SHIPPED!! The rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings,
balancer, flex plate all NEW, all BALANCED), shipped to his door for
$699.00!!! You just can NOT compete with prices like that. So selling parts
for profit is long gone.

The machines necessary to equip a modern shop would cost "around" $750,000-
ONE MILLION dollars!!

I use an old Quik-Way portable align bore bar (not made in 20 years) that
probably cost around 8 grand new. The CHEAPEST bar I saw at the PRI show was
18,000 with some as high as 30,000. Unless you are using that bar every day
it will NEVER make a profit. Sunnen CK-10 power boring/honing machine??
Probably about 60k now. A full EPA approved "no chemical" heat cleaning
setup?? Was 30k last time I looked several years ago. When I bought my
vertical (Bridgeport type) milling machine 15 years ago the Chinese machine
was HALF the cost of the American made one. Want a CAD type automatic
machine center?? MIGHT be able to find one for $250k.

Then there's the labor rates which have NOT even kept up with inflation much
less been raised to a point where these high cost machines can earn their
keep. When I opened my shop in 1978 the local rate to surface a head was
12.00!!!! JUST to keep the same rate today (adjusted for inflation) would be
about $35. How much does your local shop charge? Unless they are in a big
city where the rates are higher I'll bet it's not even that high. We quit
running the crank grinder 5 years ago. Guys raised holy hell when we tried
to raise the cost to grind a crank to $85.00. It takes several hours to do
one. How much profit ya     makin on THAT job??

Valve jobs? On a DOHC 4-valve per cylinder(or even 5 valve!) variable valve
timing head I TRY to get $250 but guys will usually not do it and replace
the motor instead. Hell the motors that are coming STOCK in many cars now
look like something that ran at Indy just a few years ago!! Don't even THINK
about fixing them!!

Nope,,, there ain't much money to be had doin machine work now days and at
60 I don't think I'll be doin it much longer. I was lucky enough to have
grown up during the heydaze of the "hot rod machine shop" (60's and 70's). I
LOVED every minute of it!! The only computer we had was the one between our
ears! If we wanted to improve something we had to do it ourselves. We didn't
go as fast then,,but we LEARNED a lot more and SURE had a lot more FUN!!!

But HEY,,, that's just ME!

Bruce Hevner