Re: [AMC-list] carburetor rebuild time

Ken,

Thanks for the response.

That certainly puts my mind at ease. I was hoping for around 500 cfm.
I'm pretty sure the 304 isn't going to be seeing much 5600 rpm runs, but I'm
thinking the primaries are a tad bit smaller than the FOMOCO 2bbl that came
stock, which may improve the fuel mileage some and still provide me with
additional passing power.
It's interesting, I purchased a rebuild kit for the carburetor, and all the
correct pieces are there. I suppose most AFB's are very similar, anyway
similar enough that a universal carb kit can be produced for almost all
models.

I'm still hoping some one has helpful answers to my other questions and
suggestions for me about all the tubes and openings that need to be dealt
with.

I left the questions attached to this message in case anyone else can help

Thanks,

Armand

> > Questions
> >
> > 1.  The primary butterfly's shaft has some play in it. Will this cause
> > problems?
> >
> > 2.  There is a 1/4" od tube for the choke pulloff, should I connect that
> > the 3/8" od tube on the top of th ecarb passenger side?
> >
> > 3.  There is a 3/8" od tube on the carb top passenger side that is for
> > thebowl vent, should I just leave that tube open to atmosphere or should
it
> > be filtered or ran somewhere to prevent crap from getting in the bowl.
> >
> > 4.  There is a 3/8" od tube at the back and front of the carb, back one
is
> > threaded into place front is pressed in.
> >         back one goes to PCV valve correct??
> >         what is the front one for??
> > 5.   There are two 1/4 inch od tubes on either side of the idle mixture
> > screws, one goes to the vacuum advance for the distributor, does it
matter
> > which one?
> >         What does the other one do?  get plugged off ?
> >
> > 6. Where should the power for the electrci choke come from?? I assume
I'll