Re: [AMC-list] Swapping out fuel sending unit - where do you connect gro

Re: [AMC-list] Swapping out fuel sending unit - where do you connect ground?

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:08, Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I thought I had fixed my old fuel sending unit, but no go. So - I have
> a new one. On the old one, I just ran a wire to the j bolt holding the
> gas tank up for a ground.

That's probably not a good ground; Joe's suggestion of drilling a hole and
using a self-tapping screw is probably best. it needs to be connected
tightly to clean, bright metal. A squirt of spraypaint on the screw, wire
and metal when you're done will keep water and corrosion out later.

>   I just connect power to the sending unit, and
> then the ground wire to the body somewhere, right? Re-connect the
> battery and cross my fingers?

By this I assume you mean connect the (yellow?) wire back onto the sender in
the tank, not some separate power wire... you'll likely start a quick and
serious fire i you wired 12V onto the sender. The sender is connected
(through the harness) to one of the terminals on the gauge, only. Just
double-checking.