From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:47:57
Cc: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] spun rear axle/hub

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 14:48, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Probably haven't re-torqued those axle nuts the entire 22 years you had it
> either!

I changed the wheel bearings and seals when I put this 1965 axle into the
car, in 1988. Then again in 1996, when I was in there to replace a broken
pinion shaft (bad forging from the factory finally parted).

So now maybe everyone will take care of that, and you need to re-torque
> those on the American too!

Damn right, and the Hornet too.

> The problem with a used hub is that the axle is harder than the hub and
> actually "impresses" the axle splines in the hub when first installed.

Yeah, at least I'm getting a matched pair. I'm considering Loctite too. That
stuff isn't magical, it just expands ever so slightly, probably 10 microns,
but in close-fit or press-fit it should help. I won't use stud locker, just
red.

Yeah, the key is 1/8" wide, it's not doing anything but locating.