[AMC-list] interesting factoid: rear axle hub interchangability

[AMC-list] interesting factoid: rear axle hub interchangability

I happen to have a full set of axles and backing plates from a 77 Hornet
wagon, the brakes will eventually go on the American.

Justforthehellofit I thought I'd see if the 77 hubs fit the 63 axle (all
this is six cyl stuff). YES. Exactly the same axle end, spline depth and
all. The 77 is taller by .100" on the outside, eg. where the nut goes, not a
problem.

But the brake drum hole is MUCH larger on the 77 than 63.

What this means is, rear axle hubs are fundamentally interchangable in six
cylinder axles from 1961 through 1989! Good old Rambler Mentality.

(For the 10x175 rear drum setup, I'd either have to put the 77 hubs on, or
put front wheel style wheel studs on the back, which have a shoulder to
locate the drum.)