Re: [AMC-list] so many issues 71 hornet wagon

Re: [AMC-list] so many issues 71 hornet wagon

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 06:57, Eddie Stakes <
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linda, several problems might be at play here. The first culprit (to me)
> would be the vacuum fuel pump. Possibly the first thing I would do is
> replace it with mechanical fuel pump, about $20 at Auto Zone. You will have
> to reroute your vacuum wiper hose somewhere to intake, not a problem though.

Though it might cost $100, you're far better off replacing the existing
mechanical fuel+vacuum pump with the right one.

Most electric fuel pumps put out too high a pressure for older carburetors
without gas tank return lines and will cause more trouble than they fix, so
you will almost certianly need to add a fuel pressure regulator too.
Electric fuel pumps are not very good at "pulling" fuel (they like to push)
so there could be complications there.

Vacuum wipers work POORLY when connected directly to manifold vacuum. TO fix
THAT you'll need to add a vacuum accumulator can.

Or, you can simply buy the correct part -- it will fit, you won't have to
chop or modify anything, no 'treasure hunt' for one of a kind parts, all
your existing systems will work. The job will be straightforward with few
surprises.

But before you go replacing expensive components, it's best to identify the
problem first! That said, changing the fuel lines at the tank and under the
hood is inexpensive and almost certainly needed unless you can remember when
it was done last. And even if you end up replacing a perfectly good foot of
hose, that's what, $2? Think of it as cheap insurance!

(HINT: got to a car wash of the 'magic wand' type and de-gunk the engine,
especially the fuel pump area, before you do the work, or even if you take
it somewhere else to do the work. Wrap the distributor in a plastic bag or
two. If it gets wet it won't start, but at worst you can take the
distributor cap off to dry it out.)