Re: [AMC-list] hydraulic vs solid cams

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" Since the cam profile is the same, you can have a solid lifter cam
" reground to the hydraulic cam lift. Or you should be able to use it
" as is and have a higher lift cam. When my solid lifter cam was
" reground Lunati added 20° duration and 0.10 lift (total -- total
" lift is lobe x rocker ratio, which is 1.4:1 -- later AMC sixes use
" 1.5:1).
"
" []
"
" I think we can assume that the lifters will pump up and make the
" 0.010" shorter hydraulic cam about the same lift (maybe slightly
" more or less) as the solid lifter cam. 0.010" additional lift on the
" cam lobe only makes 0.015" more lift on the valve. I think it's safe
" to say that won't make a noticeable difference.

i've always been told you can't run a solid-lifter cam with hydro
lifters; it has clearance ramps at the base of the lobes to take up
the lash, and they'll jack the valves off the seats with hydro
lifters, at times when they should be closed.