Re: [AMC-list] Howdja pull off the door panels?

Re: [AMC-list] Howdja pull off the door panels?

What Joe sez.

Unless you have window and door handles with screws you'll need the funny
flat tool for popping the spring clip from under the handle. It's
kludgey-seeming, but all in all it works well.

THere's the cast handle, an off-color translucent nylon disk, and a cone
spring. The disc may be missing or cracked, but often they're just fine. YOu
slide the door handle remover tool between the cast handle and the plastic
disc, from the lever or crank side -- remember, the LEAST CONVENIENT-seeming
side. Find one or a  pic of one off the car and it's more obvious. THere's
an "omega" shaped spring clip that grips a groove in the shaft. The tool
pushes the clip back and the handle comes off.

The panel itself has wire clips that grip the edge of the pressed board the
panel is made from. There's a hole in th epanel to give the clip an edge to
grip. The wire ends bent like crossed fingers pushes into a hole in the
door.

Two things: the door panels get crumbly and the clips tear them upon
removal. THe clips get stuck in the door and take enough force that they
tear even a good panel. If your door panels are clean and crisp like new, it
won't be a problem' if they're damp warped separating etc likely they'll
tear.

I use a narrow (2") putty knife to get under the clips. I'm not sure if the
tool Joe is talkign about is the door handle tool or a door panel tool. I've
used a screwdriver too though when the panels are soft with age it tends to
tear them.