Re: [AMC-list] Gotta get off the pot!

Yep, you're over thinking it! Sort of like the safety stuff you mentioned a few months ago. Get good seats and belts, that's the most critical thing! I hauled a good bit with my 63 American w/196 and auto trans. It was my "truck" while I was in service too -- still have the utility trailer my grandfather and I built with old Model T frame rails and front spindles/wheels and rear springs from a parts 61-63 American I had. Welded the spindles to each end of a piece of square tubing, and used the bolt-off spring mounts from the American too. Every time I moved it hauled a trailer load. Trailer weighs 700-800 pounds I'm sure (8'x4' bed), and it usually had about that much on it too. If it needed hauling, the rambler and trailer did it! Tom will speak for himself I'm sure, but he loads the heck out of his wagon and goes on trips, even across the desert and mountains. So you won't have a problem. You've got the idea, just slow down a bit, allow more pull-out and stop room, get annoyed by inconsiderate drivers who act like they didn't see you're pulling a load as they pass then slide in 2' from your front bumper, and enjoy the ride! HINT: on the interstate, get about 30-40' behind big rigs and drive. You need to stay far enough back they can see you. People don't like driving between a car with a load and a big truck, and you can still stop slightly faster than the rig even if they lock up the brakes suddenly.
----------
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:53:02 -0500
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

Looks like I have from now until August to get serious about the
Rambler and change it from a once in a while grocery hauler to an
every day driver, dog hauler, popup-puller mobile. Think I had better
avail myself of local AMC club contacts and get myself to meet folks
and ask questions in person and turn a wrench a little more often. At
least it's at a pretty good point and it starts and drives well for
short jaunts.
TomJ - did you do any trailer pulling with your 196, or was it with
the Classic with the 232? If I do end up letting the 'Rolla go, I
still want to be able to go camping once a month in good weather - and
I'd prefer not to go back to the tent. I'm trying to figure this out,
but am probably giving it too much thought. I think just driving
conservatively, keeping my speed down and giving plenty of room in
front of me would be just fine. The trailer weighs between 500 and 650
pounds (probably closer to 500, I don't have the table and bench
options).

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts