Re: [AMC-list] Cam specs

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 13:51, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I find the idea that headers will make a huge difference as laughable,

I'm not sure about that... It's not simply exhaust "restriction", it's a
resonant system, the pulses of outgoing mass along the length of the header
tube(s) are timed and placed such that there is a slight vacuum at the
exhaust port at the right time to pull in more mixture.

At the low speeds I'm turning, I wonder how much help is needed filling
cylinders anyways. Without further information, I'd guess you'd want the
headers resonant right after where the torque would start dropping off, eg.
"high speed" (sic) 3500 - 4000 rpm, where those terrible ports probably are
very restrictive.

It's all about money.

>  The stock manifold isn't a log, surprise-surprise, but is a pretty well
> designed piece

It's a short "Y" with unequal lengths as per usual but it's fairly large
diameter and gentle bends and overall not bad -- more clean and open than
the 232 etc. More like the 82-up 258.