From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:59:25
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Cam grind specs, OOPSIE

OK, I screwed up. I made three mistakes:

1) Apples vs. oranges, as Bruce pointed out (a man of few but correct words,
I should take the hint)

2) I flubbed cam data entry

but worst

3) I bad-mouthed someone's work (Doug Galvin's cam grinder) before I knew
WTF I was talking about.

I know seat to seat vs. .050 is wrong. I got confused comparing "modern" cam
specs vs. the factory grind. If I was comparing brands A, B, C it would be
easier. I should have just looked at the resulting curves. But the reason
for the bad results in SCDynoSim was that I did not clear all the old cam
data out when I entered the new cam's data; there were some old seat-to-seat
#'s in there (I typed over an old cam and did save-as). When I cleared and
reentered it it all makes sense. The cam looks great now (about 15%
improvement at low speeds, moved the HP peak down to 4000 rpm.)

I truly regret bad mouthing the grinder though. No one remembers kind words
but posterity records all the bad ones! I can take my lumps but I don't want
anyone to read that in the future and think that cam Galvin's sells is no
good. That's entirely my fault.