Re: [AMC-list] Javelin suspension

Addco makes bigger sway bars, but I doubt you really need them. You're going to have a tremendous upgrade in handling just by replacing all the worn rubber. I use poly end link kits on my sway bars and poly sway bar bushings. They don't seem to groan like the other suspension parts do, and will let the bar react better. The only ting I'd consider is a new set of front springs. Ask for a set of heavy duty 68 Javelin V-8 springs from www.coilsprings.com. Or 10% stiffer than stock. They only make progressive rate springs, and you will find that they ride better and are only slightly stiffer. They recalculate the rates from the old "straight rate" springs. Old style springs are rated at so many pounds to compress one inch. The progressive rates don't take much to compress the first inch (smooth ride!), and take "progressively" more force to compress as they are compressed by driving (improved handling). So you get a good ride and handling without much added harshness as you would with the old style heavy duty springs. All new cars have progressive rate springs. A little modern tech for the old front suspension! There are coil over kits for 70+ cars, but not for the 68-69.
-------------
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:10:10 -0600
From: Greg DePratt <gdepratt@xxxxxxxxx>

I have the entire front end of my 68 Javelin disassembled and 40 years of
grease and dirt cleaned off and nice painted parts.....just waiting for tax
refund to come in so I can start buying some replacement parts.  Are there
any suspension upgrades that anyone would suggest while I have it all
apart?  After much debate over rubber vs poly, I guess I'll stick to rubber,
but wondering if there are any "kit" upgrades, like better sway bars,
springs, shocks etc.  Don't want to get too agressive on mods here but would
like the handing to be improved while I have it all apart anyways.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts