Re: [AMC-list] Big brake kits and 69 Rebel question

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 14:06, Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've seen a discussion or two of the strut rod eliminator thing and it
> sounds like a solution looking for a problem (at least for a street car) and
> could actually cause a bunch of damage if you hit a curb or a big pot hole.
> Besides being there for ride compliance, the factory bushing allows the
> control arm to move around a little if a wheel hits something.

The strut bushing is an energy storage device, as well as compliance and
isolation. It doesn't seem like much, but I bet it stores a lot of energy
for only 1 - 100 milliseconds, and spreads it out over time and space.

Speaking of which, my home made urethane replacements in my 63 Classic (now
4 or 5 years old) are groaning like never before. It sounds like rending
metal, like a frame is cracked and the broken ends grinding, or worse. But
2, 3 drops of oil in the joint (front cup washer to urethane) and it becomes
utterly silent for a week. It's holding alignment just fine and otherwise is
a great fix.

It's making me nuts.