Re: [AMC-list] Hot rod 258 questions

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 08:27, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Take a bolt to an industrial fastener supply house (something like
> Fastenal) and see if they don't have something similar. I know the bolts
> have a bit of a shoulder on them, but I believe standard grade 8 bolts
> should work fine.
> ------------

A month ago I would have done that too. Reading boltscience.com is like
watching one of those blood'n'guts driver ed movies.

I'll continue to use grade 5 hardware store bolts on my alternators and
such, but critical fasteners, I'm buying new or known-used-once. I've long
culled non-perfect bolts and cleaned out all stud holes etc.

We gotta remember it's not the 90's or 80's any more, these fasteners are
OLD OLD OLD, heat cycled and stretched. I know there's no real issues with
the 199/232/258, I've always used used headbolts in my (dead stock power
level) motors with Good Practice, but I'm questioning even that now.

I'm saving examples of each head bolt for sizing and such, and tossing my
substantial collection of old ones in recycling. I don't know where they've
been or how many times they were torqued up.

I probably won't bother with split lock washers anymore on anything. It
seems so wrong though! I was wondering why newer cars etc don't use many of
them; I thought they were just being cheap. Now I know.