Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 leaky head gasket

They ALL have an external line to the head, 63+ has TWO lines, one JUST to the head (screws in side of block ABOVE main oil galley), the other JUST to the oil filter (screws into main oil galley). Older models just have a line from the main oil galley to a T screwed into the head, feeding the head and filter. A serious correction though!! That would be LATE 1963+! The 63 TSM doesn't show the second line from the cam bearing, so it was obviously a change made later in the model year. The parts book lists the starting engine number for the different cam and bearings. The engine plant usually worked off calendar instead of model year for such changes. --------------- Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:02:01 -0800 From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> > The only practical difference in the 63-65 block and the earlier ones is > where the oil to the head comes from. Starting in 63 it comes from the front > cam bearing,

I've never seen one without the external line. Mine's got one, but its a
rebuilder.  So far I'm favoring the NORS shortblock because it has a set of
pistons already. My only hesitation at all right now is, I don't recall of
the crank butt in the car now is FLAT or VOLCANO. The NORS crank is volcano.
I know it's SUPPOSED to fit the flywheel but I'm gonna check before I spend.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts