------------
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:44:04 -0800
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

Popped the head off today, and what a mess! Evidence of oil and water leaks.
The head gasket didn't seal for crap. I suspect the head isn't cracked, just
the leaky gasket, but I won't know for sure til I get it magnafluxed.

When I last assembled it, summer? 2007, the head was resurfaced, and the
block I got clean with razorblades and lacquer thinner. Copper Permatex
(brush on I recall now) decent thin coat. It's evident I didn't use too
much.

The most likely thing I can think of is my torque wrench is WAY off (I'll
get it checked or a new one depending on the cost to check) and/or the lube
I used threw torque way off. Do gaskets go bad sitting on the shelf? Hard to
imagine. You can do bad things with too much Permatex, but that's not it
here. Block deck could be not-flat, but I checked it with my Starrett 18"
straight edge (as best I could in the car).

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts