Re: [AMC-list] 195.6 leaky head gasket

I think it's likely that you are right. I know about lubes and torque, and
the TSM is silent on the subject other than the torque number which I'm
religious about. I torque in three steps, etc. I chased all the holes, all
bolts spin in with two fingers, no burrs, proper (hard, flat) washers, the
whole nine yards. blah blah.

I dropped a bunch of parts off today for cleaning (my NORS pistons etc) and
talked to the machinist about decking and all that. I hope to have the motor
out tomorrow.

If the 63 block (or whatever is in there now) is actually identical to the
NORS (eBay purchase) block I have in my lab, I will clean that up, because I
have pistons for it and i's bored already. I have three cranks, three heads,
three blocks, a metric crapload of valvetrain parts, 12 or 18 rods... I will
have it checked, honed, the deck resurfaced as that doesn't look great (it
looks typical quick rebuild job).

The new ARP studs will be torqued and stretched properly. I'm going to THROW
OUT all of the old head bolts (three motors worth) but save one of each size
for measuerment and comparison.

After this motor I'm gonna go through what's left and throw out the crap. I
have a LOT of old valves that are too thin to regrind, etc.

I also don't trust my torque wrench. It's old now.