Re: [AMC-list] Carter WCD base pattern

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:12, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i -think- it's the standard american 'small 2bbl' base, same as the
> bbd, various rochesters, and the holley 2280, at least.  iirc the 'big
> 2bbl' base is used only by the big holley 2bbls, though there are some
> big rochesters [2bbl 455s!] too.

Well that woudl be nice! I guess I can find a BBD base gasket and compare.

the rochester used on the chevy 2.8 is a vac progressive.

This sounds familiar... I think I looked at these before. The thing with the
webers is tunability. I doubt there's a jet set and books and lore on the
Rochester.

> i think
> there's both vac and mech progressive webers, but they all have some
> sort of metric base which needs a [readily available] adapter.

The mechanical progressive weber is a very very nice carb. Had one on the
hornet. Took a while to tune up (I posted about it then) but that was very
straightforward. The adapter was 'clean' inside, a good match to the BBD
base.

If 195.6 2bbl == BBD, that pretty much clinches it.

> don't all webers have replaceable venturii?  put smaller ones in and
> no carb is too big!

The air horn maybe, but the body casting I think determines the bore.