Re: [AMC-list] Safety Weinie

I was looking at those, and thinking of my '65 four door sedan and 2
door sedans. I don't think the report breaks down side-impact or
roll-over by body type, but it does state that sedans with posts fare
better than 2 door hardtops with long sweeping doors. I really think
side impact and roll-over protection has a lot to do with the body
style you drive. I'd like to see that info broken out by body style,
but I really do think a 2 door or 4 door sedan or a wagon would fare
much better than a hardtop or convertible. Don't know how to quantify
that.

Dave talked about Flaming River or IDITIT steering shafts - and it
looks like Flaming River has a collapsible shaft for systems with
U-Joints. EZ-Fit Shaft for custom applications. Runs 300 bucks and
gives three inches of collapse. I'd want to see one, but Dave's
suggestion of splicing it in looks good.

But then I think of all the times we ran Route 95 from the southern
end of Maine all the way up to Houlton with no problems. The '63
Classic finally got taken out by a truck running over the front end,
but everybody just walked away.

I guess I should start putting dollar figures next to improvements,
and make decisions based on that.