[AMC-list] Safety Weinie

I got my wheels turning about various safety features in cars over the
years, and wondered how those safety features related to lives saved,
or percent reduction in fatalities. I have a friend that has worked in
insurance for a good while (I'm not mentioning how long, as I would
like her to remain as a friend!). Looks like a lot of that research is
already done! Lives saved or injuries avoided by specific technology.

I'm tossing around the idea of trying to write an article, but just
looking at some of the info makes me realize how much I need to do
with my car to make it a safer cruiser. Or at least by knowing the
risks, I can try and mitigate them. Wonder if I could sell a safety
weinie article.

Hmmmm.
Dual master cylinder brake system. Got it!
Front disk brakes. Nope, but plenty of instructions out there.
Analysis shows most effective in hilly areas and rain - maybe I'll
keep my drums and avoid the rain. And mountains. And panic stops. And
Seat belts - yep in front. Nope in back. An upgrade would be easy peasy.
Collapsible steering column. Hmmmmmm - retrofit one out of a '69
Rambler? What would an iditit collapsible cost? Impaling myself
doesn't sound like fun. But I like my steering column and my
three-on-the-tree.
Dashboard padding. Nope, got hard steel. And no shoulder belts.
Side marker lights? They didn't reduce fatalities, but did reduce
injuries and property damage. That's good, isn't it?

Anyway, there is a lot more information out there. Might be
interesting to do a basic article. But then some of these things would
change the nature of my Rambler, and change the very reason I like it.
I guess there has to be a trade-off for just plain quirky-cool
character.